Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Did I make the right choice?

No, I'm not worried if I made the right choice to homeschool or not. I still feel like it's right for my kids.

I'm worried if I chose the correct math curriculum.

I had suggestions from all over the U.S. on which curriculum to use. Some suggested Abeka. A few suggestion Singapore. Most suggested Math U See.

I went with Math U See after watching an instruction video. I felt it was presented in a way that my kids would understand. I bought Cyra the Epsilon level & the Zeta level. She tested in towards the end of Epsilon, but figured I could still use it for Kenady & Campbell later on.

Then this morning I read a blog post by Mrs. G over at Pioneer Woman. She recommended a math program called Teaching Textbooks.

I went through their website & LOVED their program. Everything seemed like so much fun. And simple to understand. And less paperwork since most of it is done online.

The cost is a bit more than Math U See, but again I would use it for the younger kids.

Let me just confess that I'm a bit of a strict mom. I like order. I like worksheets. I like instructing. Too bad this is not about me.

Problem is, I need to remember my goal in homeschooling. It was to teach my kids to teach themselves. I want them to love learning. I want them to feel success because of their hardwork.

So we will continue w/ the Math U See Epsilon level for part of this year. But as soon as I can find it on sale, I'm getting the Teaching Textbook. I'm selling the Zeta level on ebay & putting that money away to help w/ the cost of the new curriculum. Hm. That's a math lesson for the kids right there.

Who said math can't be fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment